In a bid to curb leakages of government resources, President Muhammadu Buhari has approved for immediate implementation the following cost saving measures aimed at instilling financial discipline and prudence.
Government Trips Must Now Have Documentary Evidence
– All public funded travel trips must be strictly for official purposes and must be backed with documented evidence/proof.
Government Officials: Only 8 Trips A Year Allowed
– Ministers, Permanent Secretaries, Chairmen of Extra-Ministerial Departments, Chief Executive Officers and Directors are restricted to only two (2) foreign travels in a quarter. That is 8 foreign trips in a year.
Not More Than 4 People Are Allowed For Entourage
– Ministers are allowed a maximum of 4 people including the relevant Director, Schedule Officer and one (1) Aide of the Minister.
– Below ministerial level maximum of three (3) people
Fly Economy, Business Class limited to only topmost government officials
– Ministers, Permanent Secretaries, Special Advisers, Senior Special Assistants to the President, Chairmen of Extra-Ministerial Departments and Chief Executive Officers of Parastatals are allowed to fly business Class.
– Other categories of Public Officers are to travel on Economy Class
No More Extended stays
– Duration of official trips is limited to only the number of days of the event as contained in the supporting documents to qualify for public funding.
No More Estacodes On Travel Days
– Estacode allowances will no longer be paid to officials for days of travel
Ministers and Government Officials Must Submit Yearly Travel Plans
– Ministries, Departments and Agencies (MDAs) are required to submit their Yearly Travel Plans for review& clearance to the Office of the Secretary to the Government of the Federation and/or the Office of the Head of Civil Service of the Federation
– Submission of plans are to be made within the first quarter of the year (Jan – Mar).
– Plans are to be submitted with supporting document as evidence/ proof for approval.
– All travel arrangement that do not follow this guideline or met the criteria will not be paid for by