The Minister of Information, Lai Mohammed had a press conference earlier this morning on the anniversary of the ENDSARS protest at Lekki Tollgate.
The Minister reiterated the government’s position on the shootings at the Lekki Tollgate and also the police reforms been implemented by the administration.
Here are five things the minister said:
What Lai Mohammad Said About ENDSARS Anniversary
1. The Minister of Information, Lai Mohammed has maintained that “The military did not shoot at protesters at the Lekki Toll Gate on Oct. 20th 2020, and there was no massacre at the toll gate. The only ‘massacre’ recorded was in the social media, hence there were neither bodies nor blood.”
2. The Minister of Information has also questioned why nobody or families has shown up at the Judiciary Panel of Inquiry one year later,
What Lai Mohammad Said About CNN, Amnesty International and DJ Switch
3. Lai Mohammed advised CNN and their collaborators to apologize for their misinformations. The Minister said that “Amnesty International, CNN, a runaway DJ and others like them should apologize for misleading the world that there was a massacre at the Lekki Toll Gate and for portraying the Nigerian military, police and other security agencies in bad light.”
4. He further said “CNN acted unprofessionally by relying on unverified, and possibly-doctored social media videos, as well as other open-source information, to conclude that a massacre took place at the toll gate.”
What Lai Mohammad said about security agencies conduct
5. The Minister of Information and Culture praise the security agencies for their conduct. He said that “the Federal Government remains proud of the security agencies for acting professionally and showing utmost restraint all through the EndSARS protest and the ensuing violence, an action that saved lives and properties.